GFWC FEDERATION (Did You Know?)
For over 120 years women across the US and in many other countries have benefited from the existence of the General Federation of Women’s Clubs (GFWC). In fact, it is not an exaggeration to say that because of GFWC initiatives and action programs, the world has benefited.
The GFWC was formed in 1890 and chartered by the U.S. Congress in 1901. Jane Cunningham Croly, otherwise known as “Jennie June”, formed the Federation of Women’s Clubs. Her desire for an organization of women united together for common purposes reflects the GFWC motto “Unity in Diversity”. The GFWC is the world's largest and oldest women’s volunteer organization.
Our National Headquarters is in Washington D.C. at 1734 N Street NW. GFWC’s Headquarters and home is designated as a National Historic Landmark and is part of only five percent of such landmarks that highlight women’s history.
A Historical note… Eleanor Roosevelt was a member of the Chautauque Woman’s Club. As First Lady, Eleanor maintained a close relationship with GFWC, thru speaking engagements, holding meetings of the GFWC at the White House, and hosting Teas for members.